Did you know that GCN connects with our merchant subscribers every month to discuss current challenges, best practices, and any timely topics?
Thanks to everyone who joined us on the most recent call. And a special thanks to our merchant leadership team for their guidance and contributions: Adam Golomb with Giant Eagle, Benita Johnson with Petsmart and Len Sadek with Landry’s.
The discussion on the call was full of great insights, including these 10 key take away concepts:
1. Metrics of success for your brand’s gift card program are always changing. For newer programs it may simply be sales, for mature programs metrics may include consumer behavioral information.
2. When it comes to data and reporting, the consensus is: there’s always more information to be gained, everyone wants, and no one has time to do it.
3. For third party sales, there’s a specific desire for behavioral data around both card purchase and redemption, and some distribution partners are willing to provide to directly to brands. For example knowing if someone is purchasing wrapping paper and other gifting supplies, that says
4. Categorical data may be easy for the retailers selling the card to acquire; however many pieces are proprietary data, and finding a contact to get the data can be difficult.
5. Another key data point is knowing how well a brand is performing in comparison to others in a third party mall in order to see if the growth or decline in a specific brand is mirrored in the rest of the display.
6. Staying connected with other departments is essential to growing your gift card program. Other departments may be able to support your initiatives, and gift card may help support other larger initiatives as well. For example, being used as a case example for a new program may increase relationships with the IT department.
7.There are a growing number of unique ways to promote your brand’s card and offer additional value to the consumer without discounting your brand. Such as brand collaborations and promotional opportunities.
8. At home activation is one of the newest trends to get your brand’s card in the hands of customers, and there are some amazing results.
9. The most interesting element of at home activation is when you ship a card to a consumer’s house, your brand has the unique opportunity to be placed in a “future gift drawer” for easy activation on demand.
10. The next merchant forum call is Wednesday, June 20 at 11am pdt/2pm edt and we’re accepting topic submissions. Simply reply to this email with a topic suggestion for next month’s call.
Thanks again to all the brand representatives who were able to join us including: Barnes & Noble, Belk, Cirque Du Soleil, Cracker Barrel, Crate & Barrel, Giant Eagle, Landry’s, Petsmart, Sears, & Ulta
To RSVP for the merchant forum, fill out the form here.
Make sure you’re included in the digital GCN Resource Guide, a free an open resource for merchants, vendors and distributors.
We at the Gift Card Network are so excited to be attending, presenting, and hosting a dinner at the upcoming Buyatab Summit, happening June 4-5, 2018. Buyatab’s 3rd annual Summit will be held in their hometown, Vancouver, B.C. to a merchant-rich audience, along with other industry members. The Buyatab Summit is an unique opportunity to learn about the latest innovations in the digital gift card space, and one of the best platforms to discuss where the trends of digital gift cards are going in the future.
Buyatab will also be hosting the second partnered GCN Gift Card University, which will kick off the event the morning of June 4th. Attendees of the event will, at no cost, have the opportunity to become Gift Card Geeks and gain a solid foundation of how successful gift card programs are run. Speaker Matt Davies, founder of Powerhouse Brands Consulting and The Gift Card Network, will be presenting, along with industry experts.
“Gift Card University is such a beneficial learning opportunity available to newcomers in the industry. If you’re new to the industry, why not attend? For those already in the industry, it can act as a great refresher course by providing current basics.” —Matias Marquez, Founder & COO, Buyatab
After Monday’s class, attendees can take a quick walk to the opening reception at Glowbal, where they can connect with their fellow attendees over craft cocktails and food inspired by ingredients from across British Columbia. This reception is hosted by The Gift Card Network and sponsored by Travel Tags and Powerhouse Brands.
Bright and early the next morning, attendees will dig into the meat of the content, including a keynote presentation by Claire Booth from Lux Insights and presentations on combating fraud for digital gift cards, and best practices and immediate improvements to your program, plus a deep dive on gift cards at an industry level. GCN will also be presenting on the future of gift card collaboration.
Initially developed as a venue for those in the gift card industry to connect with each other, Buyatab’s annual summit is quickly turning into the go-to gift card event for education around the latest trends, as well as what’s coming next.
“The Buyatab Summit is where future-focused discussions can start.” —Matias Marquez
To cap off the event, attendees will have the opportunity to experience the beauty of Canada from above at Flyover Canada and further network over local beers and wines at Tap & Barrel, while taking in the beautiful views of Vancouver.
Information on summit registration can be found here.
To register for GCU, click below.